We're looking for local businesses that get down with the Back In The Day Buffet! Get registered here to win FREE lunch for you and 14 your co-workers courtesy of Checkers!
Photo Taken By Jonathan Leibson
Tampa Bay, I recently just found out! In an interview today with HipHopDX, Masta Ace revealed that he has been in a long battle with Multiple Sclerosis (MS), "a chronic disease that attacks the central nervous system, which is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves." The Brooklyn rapper was diagnosed with the disease in 2000 after suffering symptoms such as loss of vision or the sensation that parts of his body had fallen asleep (like the "pins and needles" one gets when lying on a body part for too long) even though he was standing up.
Ace tells HipHopDX, that he didn't put everything together, but knew something was wrong: "I knew something was going on, but I didn't know what. You start thinking the worst kind of stuff 'cause it's weird, like, 'What the hell is going on?' I didn't know that the two things were connected, but I just knew that weird stuff was happening and I needed to find out why."
Following his concerns that something was wrong, Ace went to the doctor, who ran multiple tests, including a spinal tap, and the diagnosis came back as Multiple Sclerosis. After he received the diagnosis, Ace says he didn't want to tell anyone, because he didn't want any pity: "I wasn't really ready for people to be hitting me with the, 'Ah, that's terrible... I didn't want anybody to feel sorry for me. I wasn't feeling sorry for myself. I didn't want the pity. I didn't want any of that. I basically took it as a setback and a sign that it was time to reenergize and just really, really go in."
Photo Taken By Brian Babineau
USA Today's Jason Jordan interviewed Steve Smith, who is the Mouth of Wilson (Va.) Oak Hill Academy boys basketball coach, who in the past had both Rajon Rondo and Carmelo Anthony playing for the team at separate times in their youth. According to Steve's interview with Jason Jordan, Melo is currently trying to recruit Rajon Rondo to come play for the New York Knicks.
Steve was quoted saying:
"No, I think he should be fine. He took a long time off and he's rehabbed the right way. Whether he stays in Boston or not who knows. I know, talking to Melo , he's recruiting Rajon to come to New York. Melo thinks he'll come, too. You never know about that stuff though. I think either way, Rajon will be fine."
Both Rondo and Melo are signed to their respective teams through the next season, but after their contracts are up, maybe the pair will unite under the same organization.
Photo Taken By NBC Studios
Tampa Bay, there are reports that Drake has canceled his performance at Saturday night's Grammy Nominations Concert, citing a last minute "scheduling conflict," according to TMZ.
"Unfortunately, due to scheduling complications, Drake will no longer be performing ... [he's] currently in the middle of his nationwide 'Would You Like A Tour?' and sincerely apologizes to his fans that he can't be there," the rep said.
Lorde, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift have all been added to the lineup within the last 24 hours.
As we previously reported a federal indictment has been filed, requesting that the Atlanta rapper Gucci Mane surrender a 40 caliber Glock and a 45 caliber Taurus, as well as the accompanying ammunition for the weapons. Now the Associated Press reveals that the rapper could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
How many times are we going to hear about Gucci Mane and problems with the law!?!?! Prosecutors in the U.S. attorney's office in Atlanta said that the rapper will face two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon. They also said that Gucci was found with a loaded handgun on September 12th and then, two days later, he was caught with a completely different loaded gun. During both incidents, Gucci reportedly acted erratically and threatened people, the Associated Press reports.
As the Atlanta Journal-Constitution points out, if convicted on each count, Gucci Mane could face up to 20 years in federal prison and fines up to $500,000. His lawyer, Drew Findling, said he is reviewing evidence before he decides what action to take. According to Findling, the next federal court hearing is scheduled for early January. Davis has been detained in the DeKalb County Jail since the September 14th incident, though it is unclear whether he'll be released into federal custody.
Photo taken by Ryan Miller
Tampa Bay, in light of 40-year-old Paul Walker's sudden and tragic death, Universal Pictures has officially decided to suspend filming the rest of the upcoming "Fast & Furious 7" film indefinitely. Walker died in a fiery car crash alongside his friend Roger Rodas, who was driving the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT when it crashed and was consumed by flames on Saturday, November 30th. A rep for Universal issued a statement regarding the suspension of the film.
"Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul's immediate family and our extended Fast & Furious family of cast, crew and filmmakers. At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on Fast & Furious 7 for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise. We are committed to keeping Fast & Furious fans informed, and we will provide further information to them when we have it. Until then, we know they join us in mourning the passing of our dear friend Paul Walker."
They are also considering redoing the entire film and rewriting the entire story for Fast 7, however they are not sure how well that will translate with fans who wish to see Walker on screen one last time.